Lafayette's BEST Hotel Near Purdue? (Super 8 Review SHOCKER!)

Super 8 by Wyndham Lafayette / Purdue Area Lafayette (IN) United States

Super 8 by Wyndham Lafayette / Purdue Area Lafayette (IN) United States

Lafayette's BEST Hotel Near Purdue? (Super 8 Review SHOCKER!)

Lafayette's BEST Hotel Near Purdue? (Super 8 Review SHOCKER!) - Buckle Up, Buttercups!

Okay, Lafayette, Indiana. Home of Purdue University, Boilermakers, and apparently, a whole lotta hotel choices. I needed a place, a crash pad, a base camp for some serious Boilermaker business (you know, stuff). So, I dove headfirst into the murky waters of online reviews and, well, emerged with a booking at… the Super 8.

Yeah, yeah, I know. Super 8. Not exactly the Ritz. But hey, sometimes budget triumphs over bougie, right? And this isn't just any Super 8, it's supposedly the BEST Hotel Near Purdue! (allegedly). The SEO gods demand I call it that, so here we are. Let's dissect this thing, shall we?

Accessibility: First Impressions Matter (and Sometimes, They're Sticky)

  • Wheelchair Accessible? The website said it was. And the entrance… well, it had a ramp. A slightly wonky ramp, mind you, but a ramp nonetheless. Accessibility gets a tentative thumbs up. But my wheelchair-bound friend might need a spotter, just saying - it wasn't pristine in this way.
  • Elevator? Yep. Praise the travel gods! I'm not climbing three flights of stairs after a long day. Big win.
  • Facilities for Disabled Guests: I didn't personally need fully accessible features (though, hello, I wish they had a hot tub with a view), but I peeked into a few rooms, and they seemed equipped. Gotta trust the website here, folks.
  • CCTV in Common Areas & Outside Property: Safety is a big deal, and it was nice to see cameras keeping an eye on things. Gave me a little peace of mind.

Cleanliness & Safety: The Germ Game

Alright, pandemic era, right? This is where things get interesting.

  • Anti-viral cleaning products?: The website claimed it. Didn't see the actual product, but… fingers crossed!
  • Daily disinfection in common areas?: Hard to say. More on this later.
  • Hand sanitizer: Yep, found dispensers in the lobby. Always a good sign.
  • Rooms sanitized between stays?: They mentioned it. I hoped for it.
  • Staff trained in safety protocol: They looked like they were trying, at least.
  • Safe dining setup: I didn't dine on-site, so can't fully assess, but the little breakfast nook seemed… functional.
  • Room sanitization opt-out available: Unsure. I didn't ask.
  • Physical distancing of at least 1 meter: Mostly observed, except maybe during the breakfast scramble (more on that later).
  • Sterilizing equipment: Again, unseen, but the effort seemed there.

My Personal Experience With Cleanliness… and, Uh, Other Stuff

Okay, personal anecdote time. Here's where things get real. I walked into my room. It looked… cleanish. The bed was made. The bathroom seemed scrubbed.

BUT.

There was, like, a faint something in the air. Not a bad smell, exactly. More like… a ghost of a previous guest's last-minute snack attack? A whisper of… stale pizza? I'm not saying it was dirty, just… lived-in. You know?

And the carpet? Let's just say I wouldn't have eaten off it. (Not that I would eat off hotel carpets, but still…). I wore socks, people. Socks everywhere!

The SHOCKER? The bathroom fan made a noise that sounded like a dying robot. And I swear, one of the towels had a tiny ketchup stain on it. (Okay, maybe I'm being picky).

So, Cleanliness Score? Let's go with 3 out of 5, leaning towards 2.5. It could be better. This isn't a dealbreaker, but don't expect impeccable, spotless perfection.

Dining, Drinking, & Snacking: Breakfast… the Good, the Bad, and the Continental

This is where the Super 8 experience truly shines. Or, well, sometimes it shines… intermittently.

  • Breakfast [buffet]: The pièce de résistance! Continental, of course.

    • The Good: Waffles! Yes, make-your-own waffles. A crucial travel perk. Coffee. Orange juice that might or might not be orange-flavored water – but still refreshing. (I also tried to sneak some breakfast takeaway, but they were watching! haha)
    • The Bad: The aforementioned breakfast scramble. It was busy. People, reaching, grabbing. A touch… frantic. Also, the "fruit" offering was seriously just bruised bananas. Someone needs to do better.
    • The Meh: The pre-packaged pastries. The toast. The questionable yogurt selection.

    The restaurant situation is… limited. There are no on-site accessible restaurants/lounges to speak of. Room service is… not a thing. So, you're on your own, Lafayette!

  • Coffee/tea in restaurant/in-room: Both! A lifesaver, honestly. Coffee machine in the room, coffee in the breakfast area. Essential.

  • Snack bar: N/A. You're near Purdue though, a convenience store is down the street.

Overall Dining Experience

It's Super 8 breakfast. Manage your expectations. It's a fuel-up, not a foodie paradise.

Services & Conveniences: The Little Niceties (and the Not-So-Niceties)

  • Air conditioning in public area & in-room: YES! Absolutely crucial. It was a hot day.
  • Wi-Fi [free] & Internet access – wireless: Worked perfectly fine. Fast enough for streaming. Big plus!
  • Cash withdrawal: N/A.
  • Concierge: Nope.
  • Convenience store: Down the street!
  • Daily housekeeping: Appears they did come.
  • Doorman: Where? Was the doorman invisible?
  • Dry cleaning/Laundry service/Ironing service: Nope. Pack wrinkle-resistant clothes.
  • Elevator: Already mentioned. My hero.
  • Facilities for disabled guests: Mentioned!
  • Meeting/banquet facilities: Okay, they have them. But… I didn't use 'em.
  • Luggage storage: They probably would have stored my luggage, but I didn't try.
  • Safety deposit boxes: Nope. Keep your jewels close, people!
  • Airport transfer: N/A

My Take on Services…

Look, it's a Super 8. You’re not getting a five-star concierge experience. You're getting basic services that get the job done. It's functional. Nothing more, nothing less.

For the Kids: Families Beware!

I didn't assess this deeply, but…

  • Babysitting service: N/A.
  • Family/child friendly: Seemed to be.
  • Kids facilities: Nope.
  • Kids meal: N/A.

Room Breakdown: The Details You Need to Know

Alright, let's get down to brass tacks, the room itself:

  • Air conditioning: Praise be!
  • Alarm clock: Yup.
  • Bathrobes: Nope.
  • Blackout curtains: Yes!
  • Coffee/tea maker: A vital necessity!
  • Desk: Functional.
  • Free bottled water: One bottle. Bless.
  • Hair dryer: Yep.
  • Internet access – LAN: Was it there?
  • Ironing facilities: I think. I didn't check.
  • Non-smoking: Yes! Thank goodness.
  • Private bathroom: Yup. Basic but functional.
  • Refrigerator: Yes. Handy.
  • Satellite/cable channels: Lots of options.
  • Wake-up service: Worked as advertised.
  • Wi-Fi [free]: Again, amazing!
  • Window that opens: Nope.

Things to Do & Ways to Relax: Not Exactly a Resort

Let's be realistic. This isn't the location for pampering.

  • Fitness center: N/A.
  • Pool with view, sauna, spa, steamroom etc.: Nope, this is a budget hotel.
  • **The "Relax
Moxy Cologne Bonn Airport: Your Epic Cologne Gateway Awaits!

Book Now

Super 8 by Wyndham Lafayette / Purdue Area Lafayette (IN) United States

Super 8 by Wyndham Lafayette / Purdue Area Lafayette (IN) United States

Alright, buckle up buttercups, because we’re about to go on a trip. And not just the kind you take to the Super 8 in Lafayette, Indiana. We’re going on a… vibe. A messy, honest, rambling, and utterly imperfect vibe. My Lafayette, IN adventure, in all its glory, starting… NOW!

Day 1: Arrival and the Existential Dread of Budget Travel

  • 1:00 PM: Okay, so… finally made it. After a hellish cross-country trip involving a nearly missed connecting flight, eating questionable airport pizza, and the distinct smell of desperation mingling with stale coffee, I’ve landed in Lafayette. Or, more accurately, the sprawling parking lot of the Super 8. First impressions? Beige. Gloriously, soul-crushingly beige.

  • 1:30 PM: Check-in. The woman behind the counter. bless her heart, I already knew from the moment I walked in, it was going to be a long day. It takes about 2 years to check in, you know how it is. I feel like I'm the ultimate test subject for how to stay in the Super 8.

  • 2:00 PM: Room inspection. The television is ancient and the remote has 20 buttons for a 10-channel TV. The bedspread… well, let's just say I'm wearing my jeans to bed tonight. But hey, it’s clean-ish. And there’s free Wi-Fi. Praise be. (Because I need to document this, obviously.)

  • 2:30 PM: Attempt to unpack. Fail. My suitcase exploded on the way here, so I'm basically living out of a bag that contains the debris of my hastily-packed life. This always happens. It's an art form, really.

  • 3:00 PM: This hotel room… is… quiet. Like, "you can hear the faint hum of the mini-fridge" quiet. I'm starting to think about the meaning of life. The existential dread of budget travel starts to creep in as I stare into the blank void that is the… window overlooking the parking lot.

  • 4:00 PM: Snack break. Gotta love the vending machine. 2 bags of chips later, I’m in full-on, "I'm on vacation mode" and my heart is at ease.

  • 5:00 PM: Take a walk, need to feel some wind. I stroll around a shopping center and the surrounding area. I'm overwhelmed by the vast amount of shopping centers. One after another.

  • 6:00 PM: Decide dinner will be a local eatery, a pizza place (the one I've heard so much about). I order an entire pie for myself. (No regrets.)

  • 7:00 PM: Back in the room, sprawled across the questionable bedspread, wrestling with the remote, and watch a marathon of something trashy, and love every second of it. The utter comfort of doing absolutely nothing is unmatched.

  • 8:00 PM: Write notes. (See above)

  • 9:00 PM: Lights off. Because, honestly, what else is there to do?

Day 2: Purdue and the Pursuit of Happiness (and Good Coffee)

  • 8:00 AM: Wake up. The sun streaming through the… slightly stained curtains. Coffee. Desperately need coffee. Free hotel coffee? Might as well be dishwater. I had planned on getting a coffee in the hotel room but the free coffee tastes like sadness.

  • 9:00 AM: Head to Purdue University. The campus is surprisingly beautiful. Really, really beautiful. All the students around, they're so young, so full of hope… wait, is that a tear?

  • 9:30 AM: Find a coffee shop. (Must. Have. Caffeine.) Found a local gem. The barista, bless her, actually remembers how to make a good espresso. This is a good sign.

  • 10:00 AM: Wander around the Purdue campus. I marvel at the buildings, the manicured lawns… and the fact that I’m starting to feel… inspired? Who knew a university could do that?

  • 11:00 AM: Attempt to find the Memorial Union. Get hopelessly lost. Wander into a lecture hall. Feel like an imposter. Retreat.

  • 12:00 PM: Lunch. (Pizza again? Maybe. I'm not judging myself.)

  • 1:00 PM: Double down on the Purdue experience. This time, I’m heading to the engineering building. (My inner nerd is thrilled.)

  • 1:30 PM: Get completely lost. Again. (Am I just geographically challenged?) End up in the wrong building. Find myself fascinated by some weird contraption. Suddenly 2 hours are gone.

  • 3:30 PM: Realize it is time to go. Need to buy some souvenirs. A t-shirt, a mug. The usual.

  • 4:30 PM: Back to the Super 8. Nap time.

  • 6:00 PM: Dinner. Thinking… Chinese food? Or am I getting adventurous?

  • 7:00 PM: Decide to try the Chinese food. I end up at… a buffet. A very budget buffet. Regret. Start ordering a big glass of water.

  • 8:00 PM: Back at the hotel. Watch more trashy TV. Honestly? I wouldn’t have it any other way.

  • 9:00 PM: Start packing. I’m dreading this part.

  • 10:00 PM: Read a book. Pass out.

Day 3: Departure and the lingering memory of the Beige

  • 7:00 AM: Wake up. Disappointed that it is time to go. I have a flight to catch.

  • 8:00 AM: Check out. Thank the lovely lady at the front desk. I feel as though she is my friend.

  • 8:30 AM: Grab a last-minute coffee. Sigh.

  • 9:00 AM: Drive to the airport.

  • 10:00 AM: Reflection time. Lafayette, Indiana. You were… something. You will forever hold a place in my heart. The Super 8. The questionable pizza. The surprisingly inspiring university. The sheer, unadulterated beige. I will never forget it.

  • 11:00 AM: Plane takes off. Goodbye Lafayette. Until next time. (Maybe.) And, of course… thank goodness for the memories and the free Wi-Fi.

Rhodes Getaway: Uncover Athineon Hotel's Hidden Paradise!

Book Now

Super 8 by Wyndham Lafayette / Purdue Area Lafayette (IN) United States

Super 8 by Wyndham Lafayette / Purdue Area Lafayette (IN) United States

Lafayette's BEST Hotel Near Purdue? (Super 8 Review SHOCKER!) - Let's Rumble!

Okay, So...Is the Super 8 REALLY the "BEST" near Purdue? Seriously?

Hold your horses, Buttercup. "Best" is a strong word. Let's just say...it was *close-ish*. I've stayed in places where the roaches practically came up and shook your hand (not at the Super 8, thankfully!), and I've stayed in places that cost more than my car payment...and frankly, felt about as welcoming. So, the Super 8... it's a journey, folks. A messy, glorious, sometimes questionable journey.

Truthfully? I went in expecting zero. We were hitting Purdue for a last-minute visit. Booked it late, and, well, you know the drill. College towns + last-minute + decent price usually equals...a gamble. This time, it paid off... mostly. My friend Deb, bless her heart, she's the one who ALWAYS finds the 'hidden gems' (like, the ones hidden *under* the actual gems) and she said it had 'good reviews, for what it is.' So there's your baseline right there.

The Location: Pure Genius...or a Taxi Nightmare?

Location, location, location! That's what they say, right? Well, honey, the Super 8 basically *is* on Purdue's doorstep. Like, you could probably throw a (somewhat weak) frisbee and hit a dorm. Okay, maybe not, but you get the idea. Super convenient. Especially after a long day of campus tours, or, you know, *ahem* "studying".

Here's the thing: it's ALSO near a *ton* of food. Fast food, sit-down, you name it. I'm talkin' grub central. My stomach was *very* pleased. We even stumbled on a decent little local diner for breakfast. Bless it.

Okay, ONE downside. Parking was... tight. Let's just say I saw a few cars practically overflowing into the neighboring lot. Not a deal-breaker, but be prepared to circle a bit, especially if you're arriving late. You're in college town, parking's always a gamble.

The Room Itself: Did You Survive? (And was the bed clean?)

Alright, here's the truth. I didn't expect marble floors and a butler. It's a Super 8. The room was...functional. Clean-ish. Look, I'm a germaphobe. I'm talking *wash-your-hands-every-five-minutes* germaphobe. And, by some miracle, I survived. No visible horrors. The bed was thankfully comfy, and most importantly, it didn't look like something had crawled across it in the night. This is a win.

The decor? Let's just say it screamed "early 2000's". Beige, beige, and more beige. But hey, at least it was clean-ish beige. I've stayed in places where the decor screamed "abandon all hope," so again, a win.

The bathroom? Ah... the bathroom. It was *there*. Functioning toilet, decent water pressure, and enough space to do the toothbrushing dance. It's not the Ritz, but it got the job done. Nothing to write home about (except maybe you’d write the word “functional” a lot).

Breakfast: The Decisive Factor? (Or, How Bad was the Continental?)

Okay, breakfast. This is where things get *real*. The Continental breakfast. You know the drill. Plastic-wrapped muffins, questionable coffee, and a waffle maker that's seen better decades.

Here’s the thing: it was actually *okay*. The waffles were decent, and if you can handle lukewarm, slightly watery coffee, you're golden. I survived. Deb actually *loved* the waffles – she’s on Team Waffle for Life. They had some fruit, which looked like it was also pre-packaged, but hey, fiber! It was no gourmet experience, obviously, but it filled the hole in my stomach. And truthfully, I have had WAY worse breakfasts.

The Staff: Did They Smile? (Or Run Screaming?)

The staff? Generally pleasant. The check-in was smooth, the check-out was smooth. No major drama, which, frankly, is a win in my book. I had *one* minor issue - a lightbulb. It went out. Immediately. But I told the front desk, and boom! Fixed within 20 minutes! Now that's efficiency!

I mean, they didn't greet us with champagne and rose petals, but they were polite and helpful. No complaints here. Honestly, after some of the horror shows I've experienced, a polite staff is worth its weight in gold.

The "SHOCKER!" Moment: Spill the Tea! (The Bad!)

Okay, here's where I drop the bomb. The *shocker* they promised in the title (ooh, clickbait!)

There's a pool. A… an indoor pool. I did not use said pool. It didn't seem very… appealing. Let's just say an afternoon in the pool room made me feel like I'd entered a different part of the hotel. A part of the hotel that hadn't been cleaned in a while. The air felt heavy, and chlorine was in the air. It smelled… musty. I did not see anyone using it. This made me slightly sad, because I like to bring a swimsuit.

But hey, it's a pool! It exists! And maybe, just maybe, on a day when I wasn't so focused on the *overall* level of cleanliness, it would be a nice bonus. (Let's be honest, I never would have used it.)

The Verdict: Should You Book? (And is the Super 8 REALLY the best?)

Okay, the big question. Is the Super 8 the "BEST" near Purdue?

No. Probably not.

But! Listen. If you're on a budget, you need to be close to campus, and you're not expecting the Ritz, then YES. Absolutely. Book the Super 8. It's functional, it's convenient, and it's probably better than you're expecting. It's kind of like that friend who's not the fanciest, but they're always there for a good time. Or a *decent* waffle.

Would I stay there again? Absolutely. It was a perfect last-minute, low-stress getaway. No regrets! Just maybe, I'll skip the pool.

Around The World Hotels

Super 8 by Wyndham Lafayette / Purdue Area Lafayette (IN) United States

Super 8 by Wyndham Lafayette / Purdue Area Lafayette (IN) United States

Super 8 by Wyndham Lafayette / Purdue Area Lafayette (IN) United States

Super 8 by Wyndham Lafayette / Purdue Area Lafayette (IN) United States

Post a Comment for "Lafayette's BEST Hotel Near Purdue? (Super 8 Review SHOCKER!)"